Sustainable Ship Recycling

SPO

Sustainable Ship Recycling



SPO has a Sustainable Ship Recycling Policy in place stating that all vessels at the end of their working life will be sent for recycling to yards that as a minimum, adhere to the Hong Kong International Convention for the Safe and Environmental Sound Recycling of Ships (HKC) that was adopted on 15th May 2009 (thus, even prior to its full ratification); and that, are certified by a reputable independent third-party to ISO 9001:2015, ISO 14001:2015, ISO 45001, and preferably also ISO 30000:2009.


This Policy ensures that SPO recycles our assets in the best way: sustainably, safely, and in an environmentally responsible manner. SPO has been working with the management of selected Ship Recycling Facilities in Alang, India, on improving their health and safety standards as well as environmental compliance. Through this project, SPO recycles our vessels at a green premium and brings to life Swire's strong commitment in adopting a long-term view in its businesses.


In 2020, SPO sustainably and responsibly recycled Pacific Falcon (pictured above) in Alang, India at R.K. Industries, Plot #V-7. R.K. Industries had implemented all the necessary Ship Recycling Facility Management Plans and upgraded their facilities to meet the requirements of the HKC. SPO employed a site monitoring team to work alongside SRF personnel to ensure that all work was carried out in full compliance with the SRF Management Plan, and SRF Ship Specific Recycling Plan. This was done at an additional cost to SPO, however through this we were able to be assured that all the work was performed safely, with no environmental spills, whilst helping to build the capacity and competence of the yard's personnel.


98.7% of the vessel was recycled during the reporting period, and components reused / upcycled. The remaining 1.3% of waste was sent to the hazardous waste facilities locally where it was incinerated by a locally licenced and qualified contractor. 43.8 tonnes of hazardous waste was safely and responsibly disposed of.



For more information please click here and watch the video.

quote open
In 2020, SPO sustainably and responsibly recycled Pacific Falcon in Alang, India.

98.7% of the vessel was recycled during the reporting period, and components reused / upcycled.
NEXT

Eco-Office and Green Guidelines

find out more